- Joined up approach between RYA, TASS and University of Exeter to best support each individual athlete. This includes regular communication between support service practitioners.
- Specific strength and conditioning (S&C) programming by UKSCA accredited S&C coach.
- TASS sailing hub squad S&C sessions in the Athlete Development Centre (ADC).
- Access to team builder app for S&C programmes to allow remote training and individual modifications as required.
- 1 to 1 athlete lifestyle mentoring specifically to support with balancing academic and sailing commitments.
- 1 to 1 nutrition support available on a need's basis.
- Access to physiotherapy appointments and Pilates/prehab 6x session blocks throughout the year.
RYA staff Jack Grundy Performance Manager
Sarah Marjoram Performance Officer
University of Exeter staff Charlotte Hale Head of Performance
Nicky Savill Sports Services Manager
The University of Exeter Sports Scholarships Scheme offers a comprehensive support services package including a programme of support and financial benefits for exceptionally talented student athletes. Scholarships and Bursaries are awarded annually to those who show evidence of competing at national or international level.
- Up to £3,000 financial support for sporting expenses
- A support services package worth up to £3,500 (including S&C, performance analysis, physiotherapy and athlete lifestyle support) as part of the performance programme
- A Sports Scholarship mentor from the performance programme
Sailing scholarship applications will be considered for prospective students who are part of the RYA performance pathway or who can demonstrate they are competing at an international level.
STUDYING AT EXETER
The University of Exeter is renowned for its academic excellence, establishing itself in the top 1% of Universities worldwide (The Times World University Rankings) and placing 19th in The Complete University Guide UK rankings.
The University has four, two in Cornwall with two in Exeter, closely located to the thriving commercial city centre and large St David’s train station. The University currently has around 23,000 students, of which almost 5,000 are international students. In total, the University hosts students from over 130 different countries making for a truly vibrant and inclusive academic community.
‘Learning to balance my academic studies and professional sporting ambitions has always been important to me. The support at Exeter has allowed me to thrive in both my degree and sport. From nutrition to fitness to deadlines the Sailing Hub has always been there to help. Many people believe doing a degree whilst being a full-time athlete is not an option, however, the University has made it more than possible for me to do both!' BSc Psychology British Sailing Team